On 7th November, five members of the Steering Committee met with Councillor Joe Mihevc and his assistant, Beth Gosnell, in his St Clair Ave office. We updated the councillor on our 2013 activities and presented our proposed 2014 activities. Several items of interest emerged from the discussion:
1. Changes to the Phil White Arena are currently being designed. They include: publicly accessible washrooms and changing area, a warming area and a kitchenette with servery. Construction is planned for 2014.
2. Outdoor skating rink: some $20 K has been spent on sound-proofing the boards; trees have been planted along the west side (noted in an earlier blog posting); shields are to be installed on the lights to reduce light spill.
3. Dog drinking fountain for off-leash dog area: some $4 K of the $5 k required for this to go ahead has been raised.
4. Stairs are planned to link the parking lot at the Phil White Arena to the water play feature at the top of the slope.
5. Leo Baeck School and the councillor are working hard to mitigate the problem of increased traffic around the school.
6. The school is also considering the idea of a community garden. There will be a community meeting at some point to discuss the school’s proposal.